This 4 ha property belonged to Happy Day Tours form the early 1930s to 1964. They used to bring tour groups onto the overhanging rock, which hangs over approximately 2.5m. They used Mr Clyde Sussens and his tame pet leopard Suzie to pose on the overhanging rock for advertising in the local papers. In 1964 Happy Day Tours sold the property to a private owner so from then on there was no access back onto the rock. We (Andries & Sue Bruwer) bought the property in September 2000 with the idea of building a house, we started clearing all the invading plants out and discovered the overhanging rock. The neighbours told us that it was on this property, but it was so overgrown that you could not get to it. We decided to open a view site for people to be able to come and see it again, and got such a overwhelming response with so many of the people asking why they could not have coffee and cake with this view, that we decided to open a Coffee Shop. There is not many places in this country where you can sit down and have a meal with such a […]
Vir die manne wat lief is vir visvang is die Margate Peer n moet. Die Peer is mooi oorgedoen is toegerus met plekke waar jy jou visstokke kan plaas. Slag geriewe om jou vangs skoon te maak. Hierdie visvang “spot” is geliefd vir vakansiegangers wat die Suidkus kom besoek.
At present we have two ponies suitable for small children as well as Tom and Jerry (The Twins). The children’s height restriction in order to ride Tom and Jerry is 500-600mm maximum. It is our intention in future to expand this section of our “What to Do” range.
Mac Banana has a short laid-out mountain bike trail. Bring your own mountain bike and safety gear and enjoy the views.
Oribi Gorge is a canyon in southern KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, just west of Port Shepstone, which itself is 120 km south of Durban. Oribi Gorge, cut by theMzimkulwana river, is the eastern gorge of two gorges that cut through the Oribi Flats (flat sugarcane farmlands) of KwaZulu-Natal. The western gorge was formed by the Mzimkulu river. The gorge is approximately 400 metres (1,300 ft) deep, and almost 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) wide at its widest. Erosion by these rivers have carved out nearly 30 kilometres (19 mi) of spectacular kloofs and crags, covered with subtropical vegetation. In the gorge, the dense forest on the sandstone slopes is home to various small mammals, while the large leguaans excavate their burrows along the riverbanks. At the base of the cliffs of both gorges the basement rocks are part of the Kaapvaal Craton, which are over 1000 million years old. The cliffs themselves are formed from sandstone deposited about 365 million years ago. Downstream from the gorges, a large surface mine producing cement from a limestone deposit. The road through Oribi Gorge was built by Italian prisoners of war. Oribi Gorge derives its name from the oribi, a small antelope that lives in the gorges.
Experience a unique Dome filled with walkways, waterfalls, butterflies and indigenous plants. Visit the Interpretation Centre. Ideal for families, groups and schools.
Sutherland is in the heart of the Roggeveld region – named in reference to the naturally occurring wild rye grass (Secale africanum). Early scouts considered it to be promising for sheep farming, which is why pioneer farmers ventured over awe-inspiring terrain, across immense distances and forbidding mountain ranges to settle in the area. After the arrival of the first white pioneer travellers and farmers in the 1700s and early 1800s, the Dutch East India Company advanced capital for the establishment of farms across vast tracts of land. These farms are today written into the region’s history with Dutch names like Uitkyk, De Guns Fonteyn, Klipfontein, De Knolle Fonteyn (Kanalfontein), De Jakkalsfontein, De List and Cylenberg. Despite clashes with the resident KhoiSan populations, the settlers remained. They were part of the Worcester district, whose religious well-being was overseen by one Dominee Henry Sutherland. In time, the Dutch Reformed Church bought De List farm as a church farm to serve the population of the Middle Roggeberg. They held their inaugural church advisory meeting in 1855 as the “Middel en Kleinroggeveldsche Gemeente” (Middle and Small Roggeveld Congregation). 1855 turned out to be a big year for this new community. Until then, they had fallen under the legal jurisdiction of Fraserburg, but that […]